CBBLE PAJR PARTICIPATORY LEARNING ACTION RESEARCH

Title: My Journey in the General Medicine Department: A Student's Perspective (2018-2023)

CBBLE PAJR PARTICIPATORY LEARNING ACTION RESEARCH DISCLAIMER


 NOTE: THIS IS AN ONLINE E LOGBOOK TO DISCUSS OUR PATIENT'S DE-IDENTIFIED HEALTH DATA SHARED AFTER TAKING HIS/HER GUARDIAN'S SIGNED INFORMED CONSENT. HERE WE DISCUSS OUR INDIVIDUAL PATIENT'S PROBLEMS THROUGH A SERIES OF INPUTS FROM THE AVAILABLE GLOBAL ONLINE COMMUNITY OF EXPERTS INTENDING TO SOLVE THOSE CLINICAL PROBLEMS WITH COLLECTIVE CURRENT BEST EVIDENCE-BASED INPUT



In the case-based blended learning ecosystem (CBBLE), I had great experiences studying general cellular and neural cellular pathology. I learned about cellular changes in different diseases and how they affect the body. The case-based approach helped me apply my knowledge to real-life situations, improving my diagnostic skills and critical thinking. Collaborating with classmates and receiving feedback from instructors made the learning process engaging and interactive. The use of technology, like virtual microscopy and online discussions, made learning accessible and flexible. Overall, my time in the CBBLE gave me valuable knowledge and skills that I can use in clinical practice and research.

I’m P.Manvitha, Medical student from India. 

Through this blog i m thrilled to share the experience of my journey in general medicine department.

My Journey in the General Medicine Department: A Student's Perspective (2018-2023)

Introduction:

Embarking on my journey as a medical student in the General Medicine Department in 2018, I was filled with a mix of excitement, curiosity, and a deep sense of purpose. Over the course of five transformative years, I had the privilege of immersing myself in the world of medicine, witnessing the triumphs, challenges, and profound impact of healthcare on patients' lives. In this blog post, I will share a detailed account of my journey in the General Medicine Department from 2018 to 2023, highlighting the milestones, experiences, lessons, and personal growth I experienced along the way.

When i was first posted in general medicine i started my journey with a case of 70 year old male with complaints of fever, hematuria and SOB. He was tested positive for dengue(NS1) at a local hospital.He had pleural effusion on right side where i had seen pleural tap for the first time. I wasn’t sure about many things as it was my beginning but this didn’t stop me take from taking more cases.As back of mind i knew that through this learning process i would improve on many things.

https://pudarimanvitha200.blogspot.com/2022/03/iron-deficiency-anaemia.html

A case I took in 2022 made me realise human body can do wonders. A 17 year old female was surving on Haemoglobin of 2.3gm/dl when the normal was 12gm/dl for 2 months and she had no severe symptoms she wasn't even showing severe pallor. This made me learn about all types of anemia. 

This made me question 

-How reliable is physical examination in diagnosing anemia?

What further tests we should do in this patient to confirm iron deficiency? 

Are there any problems associated with iron therapy?

Is there a role blood transfusion

This made learn about different types of anemias what were there causes

https://pudarimanvitha200.blogspot.com/2022/03/a-27-year-old-housewife-came-to-opd.html

There was a case I took in my 3rd year which I presented in class. Patient came with cervical lymphadenopathy, tongue fissures, lesions on scalp for which we couldn't reach a diagnosis. Patient was suggested to get a biopsy done for lymphadenopathy but she was hesitant and didnt show up for biopsy I still wonder how is she I still regret to this day not convincing her to get a biopsy.

I realized it's normal to feel overwhelmed or underconfident when starting out, but interacting with patients and learning from your experiences can help you improve my skills. My clinical experience has helped me develop my skills as a clinician, and I am grateful for the opportunities I have had to learn and grow. 

The captivating part of GM department was we had an opportunity to attend the patient anytime and clear our doubts. We used to have evening sessions where we had a chance to assess patient in presence of our senior colleagues and prepare a report. During one of these session i appreciated JVP in an old female.

Attending evening sessions with my colleagues gave me an opportunity to see different types of patients learn about different symptoms for a same diagnosis in different patients. 

 The thing I learned during my medicine postings which had greater impact in diagnosis a patient which was not from textbooks is every word coming from patient is important. I learnt the role of diet and their daily activities had a larger impact on patient's health. 

Throughout this journey I learned a lot from the department:

-I learned how important history taking is and how easy it is to diagnose a patient without investigations and only proper history taking.

-I learned how important examination is and by examination we can be 90% sure and confirm the diagnosis to which we approached by history taking.

-I learned proper bedside etiquette and how to interact with a patient and what are right questions to be asked

I am really glad I got this opportunity to work with the department. Thanks to the department for providing such a space where we could learn a lot of things which will help us throughout the future as medical practitioners.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IRON DEFICIENCY ANAEMIA